Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Long Awaited Delivery

In life, there are a few moments that change it entirely. One such moment for Kayla and myself came at 3:06 a.m. on October the 21st, 2011.

Thursday morning, October the 20th, we went in to visit our OBGYN Dr. Laine for Kayla's 39 week appointment (full term is 37) and she told us that if we so desired, we could go to the hospital that afternoon to have Kayla induced. To all those who have been 39 weeks pregnant, I'm sure that you understand that Kayla was more than willing. As was I.

We were admitted to the hospital around 3:30 and spent a very boring few hours before the real excitement began. At about 11:00 contractions got strong, and about the same time Kayla's epidural decided to become ineffective, and the anesthesiologist was occupied with another patient's c-section.

Luckily the anesthesiologist was back before pushing time to re-administer, and so all was well, even though he was a creeper. Now came the real ordeal, getting the baby out.

All went well until she got her head out. I was on one side of the bed holding Kayla's hand and a nurse was on the other; Dr. Laine was at the front directing traffic. Within a matter of seconds, there were at least 80 more nurses in the room, and I was kindly, but firmly told to get out of the way. Our daughter's head was out, but the rest of her seemed reluctant to appear.

 It turns out that her left shoulder was stuck under Kayla's pelvic bone. In medicine (as I was told), this is called shoulder dystocia, and was the most terrifying moment  of my life. Baby's head is blue and not breathing, crying, or showing any signs of life, there's a sharp note of panic in the doctor's voice as she yells for Dr. Macy, and it's not just me who's noted the panic, but Kayla too, adding to her trauma. This is the time when the shortest, yet most desperate prayers are offered, Dear God, please help. It was all I could do. In that moment of helplessness I turned over all I love into his hands. All this happened in about 4 minutes. Then Dr. Macy came.

The best way to describe Dr. Macy's arrival is by comparison. Think of Gandalf the White, arriving over the top of the hill at Helms Deep with the army, like Maximus and the "ruffians" showing up to save Flynn Rider, or the stripling warriors arriving to save Antipus' army from the Lamanites.  A old veteren OB, with confidence almost palpable she cleared a path issuing orders, and a minute later out popped Zoe. Prayers answered.




A tense moment passed, and then came that beautiful cry. She was alive and breathing. Not yet out of the woods, but she was at least alive. She wasn't using her left shoulder, I went with her to the nursery while momma stayed behind. In the nursery she perked up when she got her shot and started to cry and flail... both arms! All was well, and she suffered no long term complications due to her stuck shoulder. As aptly put by Dr. Laine, "Those are the moments that make us have brown pants".

     
It took a while, but all soon settled down and we were taken to the maternity ward to enjoy our baby, Zoe Amelia Savage, 7lbs 7oz, and 20 inches long. Now you can too!









6 comments:

  1. What the crazy! When Kayla said it was a traumatic birth, I wasn't quite sure what she meant. Zoe is beautiful. I can't wait to meet that sweet girl. Awww, I love her already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! She is beautiful! I am so sorry you had to go through that, that sounds scary! We, love Dr. Macy, she delivered Lyla :) and she really does know what she is doing {she was the on call doctor I talked to the other night when I had heart burn but thought I was dying...} anyways....so happy for you guys! I am so glad she is here safe and sound :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! So glad she is here safe & sound! What a cute and happy family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations you two!! You look awesome as parents. It's so hard to go through scary things like that. I guess you were "baptized" into parenting into worrying about your children. :) You guys will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I can't even FATHOM the horror you guys must have felt during that delivery. I am SO grateful that everything turned out okay! She is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL little baby!!!!! Congratulations you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart was seriously racing as I read this story! I almost had brown pants myself :) She is so beautiful you guys! Hope you are enjoying every second as a sweet family of three!

    ReplyDelete